menu

Iberian and Latin American Studies

History of the Department menu

History of the Department

The Department of Iberian & Latin American Studies is historically the merger of the Westfield and Queen Mary Departments, which celebrated the 50th anniversary of their foundations in 2005 and 2006 respectively, and which represent a long and eminent academic tradition. Here is a brief history of Iberian and Latin American Studies at Queen Mary and Westfield:

  • 1657 Foundation of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews’ Congregation Cemetery in Mile End. The Westfield Student Village, opened in 2004, is nearby.
  • 1917 East London College (now Queen Mary and Westfield) began teaching Spanish as a Subsidiary subject.
  • 1948 Spanish teaching begins at Westfield College.
  • 1955 First Honours students arrive at Westfield College.
  • 1956 Department of Spanish at Queen Mary College established.
  • 1963 Tamesis Books founded by professor John Varey. Tamesis is the leading publisher of Hispanic studies in Britain.
  • 1967 Foundation of the Medieval Hispanic Research Seminar by Professor Alan Deyermond.
  • 1989 Merger of the two Departments as the Department of Hispanic Studies at Queen Mary.
  • 1995 Department of Hispanic Studies becomes part of the new School of Modern Languages, now the School of Languages, Linguistics and Film.
  • 2000 Launch of Hispanic Research Journal.
  • 2001 Queen Mary Hispanic Studies receives 5* in the Research Assessment Exercise.
  • 2005-06 Celebrates 50 years of Honours teaching at Queen Mary and Westfield with a special alumni event on 25-26 June 2005.
  • 2006 Opening of the Centre for Catalan Studies.
  • 2008 Queen Mary Iberian and Latin American Studies ranked 8th in the UK in the Research Assessment Exercise.
  • 2010 Change of the Department's name to the Department of Iberian and Latin American Studies in recognition of the widened scope of teaching and research in the Department.
Return to top